Monday, February 3, 2020

The Porch at Siena


I've actually been here a few times recently.  This past time was later in the evening.  I felt like someone forgot to dim the lights & the atmosphere would have been a bit better if the lighting was a bit lower.  Well, at least I could see what I was eating.  

They are willing to accommodate groups.  So if you are looking for a place to have twelve to twenty people and have some gluten free options, you may want to look into this place.

The gluten free menu & specials menu are just pieces of paper with items printed out on it and hand cut with scissors crocked.  I wasn't the only person there asking for a gluten free menu last time I went because my server had to retrieve it from another table for me to look at.  I feel like maybe you should do something a little more presentable to attract the gluten free community, but at least menu presentation is no indicator of food quality.

Pictured above, I ordered the steak sandwich without the bread with an onion balsamic relish.  The onions had just the right amount of sweetness and were a great accompaniment to the steak.  The steak had a nice flavor, but there were a good amount of tough gristle parts that, if on a sandwich would have been overlooked, but since I was eating it without, it was very noticeable.  They do not offer gluten free bread here.  I feel like they could really step up their game if they catered to gluten free needs more.  Regardless, they do a good job of not cross contaminating the stuff they can do gluten free.  

I couldn't have the fries that normally come as a side, so they made me a little side salad.

They make a fabulous crab dip that you can get celery to dip in it.  It's cheesy and creamy with just the right amount of crab.  

Over the summer, I had the chicken.  It was really good, but now on the winter menu, I'm told they changed their chicken and it cannot be gluten free.  Hopefully in the summer I can come back & get gluten free chicken again.  It was good.

This time, I ordered the fig and goat cheese salad.  The figs were a sweet addition to the bed of spring mix, radicchio, almonds, and goat cheese.  I added grilled chicken to the salad, as I felt it needed a protein.   The chicken had a decent flavor.  I've had juicier grilled chicken, but it wasn't dried out either.  The salad was large enough to be an entree. I definitely picked out the good stuff & still had a bowl of lettuce left over.  It was enough to fill me up.

All in all, the food was tasty and I didn't get sick, so in my book that's a win! Thank you to The Porch at Siena, I'll be back soon.


Siena at St. Clair
120 Siena Drive
Upper St. Clair, PA 15241
412-833-5385





No comments:

Post a Comment