Monday, March 31, 2014

Andy's Sushi Bar at Wholey's


Lunch time at wholey's on a Friday in Lent is a mad house.  The line for the fried fish sandwich wraps around the store.  Even though I obviously can't have this delicious treat, my companions can.  And it's huge.  This fried fish sandwich is the truth!



The line for Andy's Sushi was much smaller... and that's what I came for.  While waiting for Andy to make the orders in front of me, he offered me a slice of a fresh roll.  I love free samples, but I saw him douse it with a sauce.  I quickly asked if it was gluten free.  He said no and cut another slice, sprinkled on a different sauce, and handed it to me saying, "Gluten free."

It was mildly spicy.  I like fresh rolls, but it was hard to compare it to others I've had because of the sauce.

I ordered a California Roll and a Mango Salmon Roll Special.  He used real crab meat in my California Roll and both rolls were stuffed with fresh ingredients.  Andy was careful not to use soy sauce or other gluten containing ingredients.

First, I tried the Mango Salmon Roll.  The sauce was a tangy and sweet mango flavor.  Inside was salmon, avocado, asparagus, basil, cucumber, and mango.  The rice was wrapped  around the outside of the seaweed.  It was delicious.

Then I tried the California Roll.  The crab meat was canned, which was better than fake crab sticks because they have wheat starch in them, but not as good as actually using snow crab leg sections like I do when I make them.  It had the typical crab, cucumber, and avocado, but also had asparagus in it as well.  I welcomed this addition to my California Roll. 


For the price, I thought I should save half to get two meals out of it. I didn't think I'd be able to eat everything in my container, but I couldn't stop eating it.   This sushi is a bit pricey, but well worth it.  Yum.  I didn't get sick & I'll be back! 



http://www.wholey.com/
1711 Penn Ave in the strip district


Andy's Sushi Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment