Monday, March 31, 2014

Union Pig & Chicken

Union Pig & Chicken



The inside of Union Pig & Chicken is reminiscent of a family reunion picnic.  The tables are large picnic table like tables that encourage large groups and communal dining.  I'm not a big fan of eating at a table with strangers, and I must admit, the first time I came here I was a bit turned off by the whole concept.  It stays true to the theme - southern hometown BBQ. 

The waitress was very pleasant and knowledgable about the menu.  Anything she couldn't answer, she promptly asked the kitchen and returned with an answer.  The menu is concise.  Everything on it sticks to the BBQ theme.

I always order the BBQ chicken because its gluten free.  It comes in different sizes - quarter, half, and whole chicken.  I like to order the whole chicken so I have lunch the next day.  The perfect portion size for me is a half chicken.

The BBQ chicken is the moistest chicken I've ever had.  It's skin is slightly crispy with a but of spicy heat from the dry rub. It has a smoky flavor that will keep you coming back for more.  It's even great cold the next day, provided you like cold chicken, which I do.  Or you can heat it up.


For the side, I ordered the braised red cabbage.  The waitress was nice enough to check with the kitchen to see what it was braised in.  She told me spices and apple cider vinegar which were all gluten free.  So I tried it.  It was like a mild sauerkraut.  It wasn't nearly as good as the brussels sprouts with bacon I had the time before.  I was a bit disappointed that they told me brussels sprouts were a seasonal item and it was no longer in season.  Union Pig & Chicken made brussels spouts and bacon taste so good, I bought brussel sprouts and made a similar version at home.  

On the non gluten free side of things, Union Pig & Chicken has incredible ribs and pork.  Even though I can't eat them, my companions loved both the ribs and the pork.  I hear the cornbread is also very good, although I can't eat it.  


Other sides that are gluten free are the grits and the greens.  Maybe next time I'll work up the nerve to try them.  I'm not a fan of either, but I wasn't a fan of brussel sprouts until these guys cooked them in bacon! Bacon makes everything better.


220 N Highland Ave Pittsburgh, PA 15206
http://www.unionpgh.com/


Union Pig and Chicken on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. Thanks! I just approved your blog claim. Now your Urbanspoon profile picture is displayed on your blog page. You can upload a blog-specific photo if you prefer, and can change a few other blog settings there. Also, if you vote for a restaurant that you've reviewed on your blog, we now show your vote next to your post everywhere on our site.

    https://www.urbanspoon.com/br/23/12924/Pittsburgh/The-Pittsburgh-Gluten-Free-Blogger.html

    Best,
    Greg

    www.urbanspoon.com

    --
    greg(at)urbanspoon(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing such a useful post.

    ReplyDelete