Friday, July 18, 2014

Mitchell's FIsh Market in the Galleria

Mitchell's Fish Market

Mitchell's in the Galleria has a large bar & dining area.  The decor is somewhat like a Applebees.  The first thing I noticed when we were shown to our booth was the smell.  It was awful.  I'm not going to try to guess what the smell was, but I was glad I walked past it & it didn't linger at our booth.

They actually had a gluten free menu.  Of course, like most gluten free menus, you had to use the regular menu to see the price of the items.  That is kind of annoying.  But anyways, you could pick from a few appitizers, salads, and entrees and the amount of gluten free items were acceptable.
 
I was offered gluten free bread, which I accepted.  When it was delivered, I was told it was the last piece, which scares me a little.  Where has it been?  Why is it the last one?   Why isn't there more?  Is it frozen or fresh? 

Anyways, it was pretty good for gluten free bread.  The whipped butter helped.  Whipped butter could probably make anything taste good, but I think it was a reasonably good piece of gluten free bread.
  
I ordered the grilled shrimp & scallops with seasonal vegetables.   It came with smashed potatoes.  The potatoes were unevenly smashed.  I found a very large chunk of potato in the middle.  The taste wasn't anything special. 

The vegetables were crisp and steamed.  I didn't care much for the carrots, as they were a little dry, but the broccoli and green beans were pretty good.  They had a nice snap when you bit into them.

I guess I'm just spoiled with frequenting downtown restaurants and ordering their scallops.  These were ok.  They were a nice size.  

Scallops should be seared on the outside & medium rare on the inside.  The key to perfect scallops is to get the pan really hot before putting the scallops in the pan or on the grill.  They weren't seared on the outside, but at least they weren't rubbery.

The shrimp were nothing special.  They were sprinkled with paprika and covered in a butter sauce. They were a little small, but still a decent size and they were just so-so as far as shrimp goes.




http://www.mitchellsfishmarket.com/
1500 Washington Rd
Pittsburgh, PA 15228

Mitchell's Fish Market - Galleria on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment