Wednesday, July 2, 2014

The Elbow Room

Looking over the menu at first glance made me want to leave. Everything looked like bar food, pasta and sandwiches which all contained gluten. Only one appetizer looked like something I could eat and thought I'd inquire about its gluten content. It was the asparagus and fresh mozzarella wrapped prosciutto with a balsamic glaze. When I asked the server, she said she was sure it would be fine because she has a regular with Celiac disease that orders it all the time but would check with the kitchen for peace of mind.  That's exactly what I love to hear at a restaurant. She'll go the extra mile for me.

It was delicious, although I felt it may have been misrepresented in the menu.  This was not what I think of when you say prosciutto.  This was a thick sliced ham wrapped around melted fresh mozzarella and perfectly cooked asparagus.  It was garnished with a balsamic glaze and micro greens.  It was really tasty.  I thought about ordering more because it just didn't seem like enough, but instead I decided to ask the server what else on the menu her client orders, because I was having trouble finding enough gluten free options to keep me coming back.

As it turns out, they offer gluten free bread for the sandwiches and gluten free penne & spaghetti for the pastas.  I was impressed.  The menu should have said something about this option.  And on further review, the menu did mention gluten free bread upon request.  Maybe that should have been highlighted.  Maybe they should mention the pasta, too!

I ordered the gluten free penne with chicken pesto.  The chicken was grilled to perfection.  The portion size of the pasta was overwhelming.  The sauce was... pesto.  Although it was nothing special, eating gluten free pasta at a restaurant was something special.  I must admit, the pasta wasn't the best gluten free pasta I've ever had, but I didn't have to cook it myself and that counts for something.  I believe the pasta was a corn pasta because of it's rubbery texture.  This is a common texture for corn based gluten free pasta.  It's not bad, but it's not as good as quinoa based pastas.  I can see why a restaurant would choose corn or brown rice pastas over quinoa.  Quinoa pasta is a lot more expensive.  I really didn't have an issue with this pasta.  It's just not my favorite.


Overall, this is a great place to find gluten free meals.

5533 Walnut St
Pittsburgh, PA 15232
http://www.elbowroompittsburgh.com/


Elbow Room on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment