Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Cork 1794



Cork 1794

This place looked like it had potential.  When I stopped in, one of the servers told me that there were a few items on the menu that could be made gluten free.  She pointed them out and I agreed they looked promising.  At least this place know what gluten free means.

The sign out front says they take reservations.  I made reservations.  When I showed up for the reservation, they didn't save any tables for the reservation and told me it would be about another 45 minutes.  That's irritating that they don't know how to handle reservations.  I guess maybe because it was during the wine festival, but don't take my reservation if you can't plan accordingly for them.

One of the the allure to this place is that it was an old bank and you can eat in the vault.  No one in my party wanted to eat in there.  There was only one table inside the vault.  I don't know, I thought the vault was pretty cool. 

The service was slow.  The waitress forgot our drinks. She was very ditzy, but they were very busy.  I ordered the chicken breast stuffed with spinach and ricotta cheese with a fresh mozzarella cream sauce.  Nothing about it was fresh.

The entree was obviously prepared, cooked, frozen, then reheated.  This is not what I expect from a restaurant.  If I wanted to eat a pre-made reheated meal, I'd reheat it myself.  The chicken texture was weird and not pleasant.  The cream sauce made my stomach upset, and the spinach was over cooked, wilted, and mushy.  It's hard to claim something is gluten free when you didn't make it fresh at the time it was ordered.  So although I don't think the chicken was floured or the cream sauce thickened with flour, I do think there was cross contamination in this meal that had me sick for days.

I would not recommend this place for a gluten free diner.  Although, there wasn't much in the area that could accommodate a gluten free diner.  Go here at your own risk.

Unfortunately, their frozen prepared food extended to the the ravioli.  Their pasta was a lumpy ball stuck together and hard, and the flank steak was over cooked, but probably the best thing I saw here.  So I don't even recommend the food here for a non gluten free diner either.  It's just frozen reheated pre made meals.




17 W Main St, North East, PA 16428
http://grapecountrymarketplace.org/cork-1794

Cork 1794 on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment