Thursday, April 23, 2020

These Are Not The Macarons I am Looking For

Have you tried the macarons at Aldi? These were not the macarons I was expecting.  I previously bought the ones that were in raspberry, vanilla, pistachio, salted caramel, lemon, and chocolate.  The box said may contain wheat.  It was a risk I was willing to take because none of the ingredients were actually wheat.  Usually, this means they are processed in a facility or possibly shared equipment.  I've had several boxes of these.  They didn't seems to have any negative effects on me.  And just so we're clear, macarons are supposed to be gluten free.

One day at Sam's club, I saw macaron's in the freezer section.  I picked up the box & started reading.  I was disappointed that they listed wheat as an ingredient pretty high up.  Put them back immediately.

Aldi has always amazed me.  Things that don't say gluten free, but are a lot of times don't bother me, like the potato skins.  But the gluten free flour, I can't stomach, if you know what I mean.  It tastes fine, but it is not gluten free in my book.  Don't cheap out.  Get Bob's Red Mill.  They have a dedicated plant & know what they are doing.  So... Back to the macarons.

When I opened the box to snap a few photos, I noticed that these were definitely a different color than I was expecting.    I looked at the box & saw the flavors - Coconut, lemon curd, lime, raspberry, blackcurrant, and apricot.  Huh?  Where was salted caramel and chocolate?  Eh. I'll eat some while I'm shooting photos.  Big mistake.

After feeling mildly uncomfortable and not knowing why, I sat down to write this blog post.  I looked at the ingredients & saw the glucose syrup was made from wheat.  This is a common thing.  You have to watch out for glucose syrups.  But this time it was clearly labeled on the box & because the other flavors seemed fine, I didn't bother to read this one's box.  The other flavors were too delicious to care if I have a mild irritation. I don't think I did, though. Maybe it was worth it. 

My mild irritation with these ones are not bad. Really, it's more like a mild cross contamination, but I still must warn you against these treats. And they are not as good as the other flavors. Just not worth the risk. 

I'm pretty sure the other flavors were not labeled as such or I wouldn't have even bought hem in the first place.  Well, coconut isn't a big enough temptation to me to risk feeling sick.  I guess I'll have to gift the remaining macarons to a friend.  Good thing I didn't eat too many. 

Maybe I'll make my own.






No comments:

Post a Comment