Thursday, June 26, 2014

Butcher and The Rye

The Butcher and the Rye

The ambiance was interesting in this little whiskey bar looking establishment.  And they did have a lot of whiskey drinks, but of course, I couldn't have any of them because of the gluten content.  The wine list was typical.  There wasn't anything spectacular on it, but it covered all your bases. 

When I asked the server to ask the kitchen if they could do the scallops gluten free & pepper free, he tried to steer me into the trout.  I'm not much of trout fan because I find it too fishy, but the preparation looked interesting.  I insisted on him finding out about the scallops with the risotto, mushrooms and capers.  He returned with a yes and that was my choice.  My companion ordered the trout.


The scallops were perfectly seared. The outside was almost carmelized while the inside was a medium rare, soft and juicy center.  They sat on a bed of lemon risotto that was creamy and moist and was almost like a mashed potato texture. The lemon flavor was added after the rice was cooked giving it a stronger citrus flavor than it would have been if it had been heated with the rice. Crispy bits of asparagus added an excellent accent to the dish and so did the large succulent wild mushrooms.  The wilted greens added a wonderful edible garnish to this meal. They weren't too wilted either. Every bite had me yearning for more.




The trout, I was told, didn't live up to the hype from the hype from the server.  It was not bad, but also only mediocre. It did have a nice presentation, though.



The Butcher and the Rye succeeded in preparing food that didn't get me sick. As always, if you tell your server up front about your allergies, they can take measures not to cross contaminate or serve you food that will make you sick.


http://butcherandtherye.com/


Butcher and the Rye on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

  1. There is no gluten in whiskey. The distillation process extracts it and/or makes the content negligible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. Although the FDA says that distillation makes the gluten in wheat, barley, and rye grains negligible, some people with a severe gluten sensitivity still may suffer gluten reactions from whiskey, vodka, and other distilled alcoholic beverages made from these grains. I wouldn't want any of my readers to get sick by consuming these beverages so I don't advocate them.

      It's also possible that distillation doesn't remove 100% of the gluten (studies have been mixed on this point), or that a small amount of gluten is added back in as part of processing after distillation. In some cases, whiskey manufacturers add caramel coloring, which may contain gluten, or even a small amount of the undistilled grain mash after the distilling process.

      I have personally had mild reactions to top shelf triple distilled vodka. It's best to be safe, than to be sorry.

      Delete
  2. Agreed!!! I stay away from liquer such as these and go to rum or wine typically.

    ReplyDelete