Tuesday, June 3, 2014

McGraw's Steakhouse

McGraw's Steak Chop & Fish House

McGraw's Steakhouse is a romantic little place right along the Wabash River.  They have both patio seating and a beautiful view of the river from inside the dining room where the glass windows stretch the entire length. There are about 20 tables in the main dining room and a few less in a separated dining room probably reserved for private parties.  White tablecloths line the wooden tables and set an intimate mood.  This would be a great place for a special occasion or romantic date, if you can get a reservation.

I ordered a salad with no dressing because I was very unsure about the content of the dressings at this place.  I was told that they didn't put croutons on the salads, so that was safe.

I ordered a rib eye steak and garlic mashed potatoes.  I told the waitress that everything had to be gluten free, and I tried to order things on the menu that wouldn't normally have gluten in them and wouldn't have to me modified.  If you flour a steak, you're ruining a perfectly good steak.  This didn't seem to be a place that would ruin a steak. 

My salad arrived and was a bowl of iceberg lettuce, nothing fancy, a cucumber, red onions, shredded cheese, and a couple cherry tomatoes.

My rib eye arrived and I cut into it.  It was not medium rare as I ordered it, it was more of a medium well.  It looked nice in the presentation, but the temperature was over done for my liking.  Large chunks of pepper were sprinkled aver the steak, which I found over barring. There was a lot of gristle and fat, but that is to be expected with this cut of beef.  It added a nice flavor to the tender parts I could actually eat.

The garlic mashed potatoes were evenly smashed and creamy with a hint of blue cheese in them.  They were enjoyable, while still remaining simple.

My compainions had a filet, which was cooked to a perfect medium rare and a prime rib with au jus sauce and horseraddish, also cooked to a perfect medium rare.  I was told the filet was very tender & tasty and so was the prime rib.

Overall, it was a classy atmosphere, a delicious meal and friendly service.  i dont think there is very many non chain classy restaurants in the area, so if fine dining is what you desire, there isnt very many options.  but thats alright because they did it right at this place.  Of course you will pay quite a bit more here than a diner, chain restaurat or mom & pop restaurant.  I didn't get any adverse reactions to the meal served here at McGraw's Steakhouse, so I think it's safe to say a gluten free diner can have a delicious meal here.


http://www.mcgrawssteakhouse.com/
2707 South River Road
West Lafayette, In 47906


McGraw's Steak Chop & Fish House on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment